Friday, April 8, 2011

Marvelous Wheat Bread

Ok, ok, I know I've been a slacker with this blog lately (I blame the first trimester of pregnancy) and need to update it. I've got plenty of new recipes to share so here is the first one. My friend gave me this recipe and the thing I like best about it is that it's not a super dense wheat recipe. It's also nice that everything you need to make it, you would have in your food storage. Two hints I have for this is that it's a SUPER soft dough, so don't add too much flour. Also, make sure you kneed it for as long as the recipe says. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

MARVELOUS WHEAT BREAD

2 ¼ c. warm water
1/3 c. softened butter, margarine, or oil
1/3 c. honey or ½ c. brown sugar
2 Tbl. yeast
½ c. instant nonfat dry milk powder
1 Tbl. salt
2 Tbl. gluten flour (opt.)
4 ½ c. whole wheat flour
1 c. all-purpose flour (or less; go by look/feel; this is a soft dough)

In a large mixing bowl combine water, butter (or oil), honey (or sugar) until butter is melted. Add in yeast and let sit until yeast dissolves. Gradually add milk powder, salt, gluten (opt.) and whole-wheat flour. Beat until smooth (2-3 mins.). Add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, 5-10 mins. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. Punch down. Shape dough into traditional loaves or divide into fourths and roll each portion into a 15” rope. Twist two ropes together. Place in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 mins. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 mins. Remove from pans to cool on wire rack. Yields 2 loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment